Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.Reading Time: 6 minutes
Gossip is an act that does not only destroys friendship, it destroys one’s reputation.
I made these post on Gossip because I feel a lot of ladies out there are battling with it. Some have recognized that it needs to be dealt with, while some don’t even know that it’s something that needs their urgent attention.
The psalmist says in Psalm 34:13 “Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit”
The major thing that fuels Gossip is deceit, envy and malice.
Before I dive deep into our topic of concern, let’s give a brief introduction of what it means to Gossip.
What does it means to Gossip
To Gossip means to slander, backbite and spread rumors about someone thus hampering the person’s image.
Gossip is a bad signal, an idle talk that ruins relationship, prevent growth in the church or community.
Gossip is a trend amongst ladies, I am a lady myself and I can attest to the fact that these assertion is true.
Now there is nothing wrong with the fact that we love to talk, but I feel everything in life should have a limit and a balance to help checkmate you when you are out of the way.
Like I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with you loving to talk, but the point is “what’s your talk focused on?
Are you going about battering peoples image or you are channeling your talk energy into something positive.
You will be remembered by how many lives you ruined and how many lives you impacted, it depends on what side of the coin you want to fall into.
Before I move on, I will love to do a break down of Gossip that exist.
Types of Gossip
Rumor is spreading an unconfirmed information about someone.
Rumor gain grounds because you tell someone about it hoping to get more info, but the person in turn tells another and as such Gossip spreads.
As the name implies, it means speaking slanderous, evil, bad and spiteful words about a person that isn’t present to defend themselves.
Now this is where it gets worse and tough, this is meant on ruining a persons reputation.
To slander means to deliberately spread lies or rumor about someone in order to cause damage to their reputation or image.
4. Planting seeds
Planting seeds is another form of gossip that tries to convince another about something that isn’t true.
For example: isn’t it strange that he keeps staring at your wife when you are not looking
This is about sharing a Juicy information about someone not to directly cause damage but to keep the gossip alive, but at the end, it still taints the image of the person it is centred on.
What gossip does to you
Gossip, however the type has a lot of effect on us and this include
1. You become a slave to the person you gossiped about, if the person behaves in an unusual way towards you, you begin to feel it’s because they have gotten the info about your backbite.
2. You lose your peace each time you see the person you gossip about.
3. I don’t know if I am alone on this, but I also feel guilty when I gossip.
4. It’s a sign of dishonesty.
5. It’s a sin. God detest Gossip.
What does the Bible say about Gossip
The Bible says a lot about Gossip, it’s an act that the lord detest.
1. He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.
(Proverbs 20:19 KJV)
2. Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
3. Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.
(James 5:9 KJV)
4. He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.
(Proverbs 20:19 KJV)
5. He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
(Proverbs 13:3 KJV)
I use to be a chronic gossip, like it has become a part of me, the only reason I won’t gossip is if I can’t or don’t find someone to gossip with.
Recently God started talking to me about it, I actually dreamt about it, and I will be writing out what I got from the dream.
1. Gossip is a sin
2. It is another form of dishonesty
3. It allows people lose trust or confidence in you
4. There is a spirit behind it
5. If God is not in support of it, then the devil is and by consistently gossiping you have created an atmosphere for the devil to come in, you don’t need to ask him to come, your constant gossip has invited his spirit in already
6. one thing I have come to realize about ladies that gossip is that our heart is characterized with anger, bitterness, envy and strife.
Gossip is centred around all of this.
What do I do to stop Gossiping
The first step to overcoming a problem is to recognize that you have that problem.
Admit that Gossip has become a very crucial part of your life.
Ask for forgiveness from God
Report yourself to God, ask him to help you.
Talk to the Holy Spirit about it
Yes, the third step to overcoming Gossip is not to run to the next available person for help, it is to go on your knees and talk to your helper.
I told the Holy Spirit, that I am very wicked and undone, when he told me about this sin.
I told him to see how bad and wicked I am,
I told him I am wicked, bad, envious, and worst of it all I Gossip.
I asked for his help
He is the comforter, he will comfort you and guide you into all truth.
Take deliberate action about it
Tell yourself that at any provocation or chance given that you won’t Gossip, however hard it may be.
Talk to someone about it
Talk to a pastor, mentor, or someone you trust about it.
Scripture says we should ‘confess our fault one to another right’
So talk to someone about it, so they will also join you in prayers.
Stay away from people that promote the act of gossip, people that feel convenient to gossip about another, stay away from them.
If you can’t stay away from them, then you respectfully or lovingly tell them it’s wrong to do that if they try to bring the talk about someone.
If you can’t do without talking, channel the energy towards something positive. Read books, write Journals.
I will provide you with scriptures that you can meditate on to get rid of gossip.
For tips on how to meditate, visit Here
Scriptures to meditate on
1. Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24 KJV)
2. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. (1 John 1:4 KJV)
3. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
(Romans 12:10 KJV)
I hope you were blessed, I will keep updating this piece as I get advance in my knowledge in God.
Please do not forget to leave a comment, like and share.
I ask that the light of God shines on your path and illuminates every darkness and tendencies present in your life. Amen
You can also read
- how to study the bible for beginners
- How to create your own bible study notebook
- How to meditate on God’s word, beginners tip